Sunday, February 6, 2011

Dusty Wonderland

Denver is a glowing wonderland.  We had several snowfalls this week, and the city looks like something out of a Norman Rockwell painting.


One of my favorite aspects of a Colorado winter is the temperature.  Being from the frozen Midwest, I appreciate the option of going outdoors December through March.  How refreshing even when windy! 


When it snows I drive slower and notice the sweetest things.  Check out the sign I saw on the way to church!  I loved it so much, I drove home, grabbed my camera, and returned to get a shot.  This art reminds me of the newer documentary, Exit Through the Gift Shop, although those pieces are more provocative...  Still, so cool!


Check out those mountains.  I picked a great city for relocation.


And a spectacular view of the city with the skyline.


It's Super Bowl Sunday:  I'm hopeful for a Packer victory and prepared with my cheese curds; don't you worry. 


Another new thing in 2011:  reading more poetry.  Especially the books I purchased for my college classes but never finished (waste not, want not?).  Reading poetry inspires poetry.  My final thoughts about the snowy week.

  
Dusting
 (Inspired by evenings like the one pictured above.)

Outside it's dusting.
White's falling around, 
wrapping the earth in soft light.

The streets grow quiet.
The busyness diminishes into a
sweet slowness.

Everything is dusted,
and the city glows.
Tonight's a night for falling in love.

I hear nothing.
Stillness grows in me,
and I feel strength.
You are near,
close and patient-
the change, everything surrounding me.

1 comment: