Thursday, July 22, 2010

Moving Into the Real World

After touring about twelve places, we signed a lease.  I get the keys to my first apartment on Saturday, and I'm nervous.  Is that weird?  But I'm excited, too, about the attic apartment in the Victorian house, walking score of 95, lively neighborhood, and slanted ceilings that will prove to be a moving challenge.  

Everyone says I'm in the "real" world now-as if I was in a fake world before-but I can see it.  Signing a lease, working from 7:30 to 5:30 Monday through Friday, paying bills.  Even though I do those "real" things," I still feel like a kid.  I reflect on who I was last July and can see growth and maturity, but a long road still waits ahead.  

I like this new phase of life... backyard dinners with friends, neighbors, routine consistency, new acquaintances that grow into friendships, girls' nights with wine and fruit, big dreams, awkward groups of unknown individuals bound by a common purpose and vision, an unpredictable but bright future, community grounded in a commitment to grace and authenticity with room for mistakes and error.

Love from a hopeful idealist.

No comments:

Post a Comment