Monday, January 17, 2011

Firsts

Finn and Cassidy have popped up in several past posts.  In case I've never clarified, I'm a nanny for these two twins.  We spend our weekdays together, and since they recently turned one right before Christmas, I've witnessed many of their first experiences.  Such as:

  • Playing in the snow!  You'd think little babies would find this exhilerating, but it was somewhat overwhelming and... cold.
  • Eating Boogers!  Yep, today Finn chose a booger as his side with the veggie burger.  Oh, that was the first veggie burger as well.
  • Fevers!  Flu!  Diarrhea!  (which we refer to as the "rhea" and requires no further explanation of the firsts...)
  • Crawling, Walking, and Words!
  • Holding Down Babies During Immunizations!  - never, ever again will I do this if/until I have children of my own.  Terrible.  Traumatic.  Awful.  I felt like an executioner.
... and an infinite amount of other cute things.  After all this witnessing, I conclude that some of the most precious things in this life are also standard.  Maybe it's not the act in and of itself but the simple notion that we can do it.  And this is what makes life meaningful.

All these firsts.
All these tantrums.
All these giggles.
All these cuddling sessions.
All these  monotonous days.
They help me understand grace.





I don't get paid a lot of money.  Every night I come home with crusty jeans and a backache.  The weeks are long.  When I have to disclose "occupation," my lip curls out and my eyebrows raise.  In July I'll be glad for a change.  But because of this new understanding of grace, I am fortunate.  And for the first time since summer, I'm genuinely thankful for my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment