Saturday, April 9, 2011

Heartthrob Harry

I read my friends' blogs filled with profound posts about their jobs, marriages, dreams, and passions.  And I'm writing about Harry Potter.  But I can't help myself.  I am sucked in like no other.  So, if you're looking for a thought-provoking post, visit here.  And if you're looking for some cultural enrichment, read on!


(Nothing beats baby Harry, really).

I feel like adolescent me again, wrapped up in the world of Hogwarts, Muggles, spells, and magical creatures.  I can't believe I lived to 23 without getting hooked into Harry hysteria.  It doesn't matter, though, because I am loud and proud about it.  And I won't sugar-coat this whatsoever:  I have done nothing but read Harry Potter, watch Harry Potter movies, and read Henri Nouwen's Here and Now for the past two weeks in my sweats.  And it's been beautiful.  I absolutely adore Harry, Ron, and Hermione... all their little adventures.  I've even narrowed down our girlfriend vacation destinations to California, Oregon, or Florida.  And you guessed it; the motivation for going to Florida is surely Harry Potter land.


(One of the most precious trios the young-adult literary world has ever seen!)

Mom and Dad, you know I love you.  And I promise I won't lose my faith because I'm reading Harry Potter.  I do thank you for watching out for me; the world needs more Moms and Dads like you two.  In fact, I think you're a lot like James and Lilly Potter... and that's real, real good.

But in all seriousness, from one literary scholar (if I can call myself that on a microcosmic level), I give J. K. Rowling mad props, even if she began Harry on a napkin.  She's a brilliant one, Buckbeaks and all.

I wouldn't be a good friend, if I didn't share the magic with you all.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment