Sunday, November 20, 2011

November 20, 2011: College is good for... friends.

Seriously, I have the best friends in the world.  No comparison, so don't try.  You'll be disappointed.

I have friends from all over the world (literally) and across the country, but my Colorado ones will always be the "friends" when referring to "my friends."  People say you have a hometown [E.C., WI - Woop!], but when you leave it, you get a new home, which has happened to me here.  My Colorado friends are my second family, the family I chose.  :)  Cheezeball-I need some crackers!-but truth.

Our baby college, which was more like Christian summer camp on steroids, might have been slightly ridiculous [if you don't believe me, picture the steroids thing... that should be convincing enough!], but because of it we know one another.  We arrived wanting to prove we were cool, mature, and worthy of each other's friendship, and even though that worked in establishing a relationship, it wasn't necessary, I don't think.  Sometimes there are people we are drawn toward, and I would say it's the case with these ones.

I am impressed with them; they're going to change the world.  Whenever I get into a dismal-spiral (also known as the existential crisis during a graduate program) and discouraged that nothing can change, and doing the work is pointless, I think of my friends.  The ones who want to go abroad and have an adventure, finding work and living life in a new culture, getting to know people and loving their stories.  And the ones who are brave enough to do the Peace Corps and give up two years of their lives to help people in another, foreign place develop their community.  And the ones who work harder than anyone I know to pursue education and employment with excellence to model to others that life is more than what we see on the surface.  Gosh, these people are beautiful, and my heart feels closer to where it's supposed to be when thinking of how blessed the world is to have my friends in it, caring and dreaming and doing.

So, yes, I'm thankful for them.  And my heart will break a thousand times over when they leave me within the next year or two, but it's for something good, better, and I'm willing to share them others for awhile, as long as I get to visit them.  And play with their puppies.  And maybe be an honorary aunt if the need ever arises.  I promise to bring presents!

You know who you are; much love.  My heart couldn't be happier for the you.

No comments:

Post a Comment